Thursday, January 1, 2015

Self Timer Series// Studio 5// TV Photography Tutorial



One of the highlights of my December was the doing a photography segment on the lifestyle television show Studio 5. I shared some of my favorite tips for using the self-timer and other creative ways for moms to get in the picture... It's a topic I am passionate about!

As moms, we often hide behind the camera, but I want my son to know that I was there too! I want to capture the interactions between us and our relationship right now. A family picture once a year just doesn't tell a complete story... it doesn't adequately show our day to day lives, and that's what I really want to remember. The little moments: Playing cars, looking out the window, going to the park... just everyday Mom and Max moments.

Five tips to make the self-timer work for you:

1. Use a tripod or level surface. You can purchase a small flexible tripod that can easily fit in your camera bag or purse when you are on the go.
2. Set your focus by pressing the shutter down halfway and then switching the focus setting on the lens from auto to manual. This will assure that your focus is locked in and your photo will be nice and sharp.
3. Using natural light will create a properly exposed photograph and capture a soft flattering skin tone. 
4. Use a smaller aperture to keep more of the scene, and subjects, most importantly, in focus.
5. Take a multiple photos to be sure to capture everyone's best expression 
 

Other creative ways to get in the picture too:

1. Look for shadows, mirrors, or other reflective surfaces to capture an interesting perspective. 
2. You don't have to be entirely in the photo to capture a moment. Try using a wide angle lens and shooting from above to show your perspective. For example, capture yourself holding hands or walking with your little one.
3. Make it fun. My son loves hearing that beep beep beep as the camera counts down. 
4. Try using a remote shutter release instead of the self-timer to capture a series of poses. My son also thinks it's pretty fun to push the remote button!
 
Click on the link above to watch the segment with more tips and photo inspiration. 

Now go take some pictures with your family, yourself included!

2 comments:

  1. You are so amazing, sis! Love these tips and can't wait to try them out. I may not have littles to photograph (without fur and tails, that is), but I do need to work at including myself in more pictures. Doing Project Life at least once a month is one of my resolutions for 2015 and your tips here will help me out with this goal -- just unearthed my tripod from our move last summer which will also help. :) Miss you lots and love you more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I do need to get in the photos more often!

    ReplyDelete