Saturday, September 21, 2013

Project Life// This is my Therapy



Project Life. I am sold. I'm almost entirely caught up on documenting our year, even throughout all the craziness that has been our life these last five months--having a premature baby who has endured two hospitalizations and serious health scares.

Project Life is my therapy. Taking a few brief moments a day to edit photos, record memories, and play with paper and glue... this is what keeps me grounded. Because of baby Max's constant stomach discomfort, he isn't much of a napper--he sleeps best in my arms. When he does nap on his own, my doggie Dolly, piles of laundry, and a sink full of dishes keep me more than busy. (Oh, and then there's this thing called showering...) But I try to steal at least a few minutes a day to work on Project Life, and I've been surprised to see how well I've kept up.

I've even been going back and putting old photos in albums, like the pictures from my 2007 trip to Paris above. I've worked for seven years as professional scrapbooker and now-- NOW-- with a sick baby who pretty much needs to be held all the time, I'm finally getting caught up?! TRUTH.

So how is this possible? As much as I love creating traditional 12x12 pages, I just can't keep up with them as quickly as I photograph our everyday life. Photos pile up and memories of everyday moments begin to fade. Pages get done here and there, but that leaves a whole lot of stories untold.

Enter Project Life. Totally manageable, organized, and just plain easy. Not to mention, I completely love the look of it. Often Max sleeps in my arms while I edit or arrange photos for my spreads. I do most of the cutting and embellishing when his Daddy gets home and plays with him before dinner. Of course, I can still make 12x12 pages when I have time, but I don't have the guilt of "getting behind" or forgetting the details. Project Life just works for me!

And let's be honest, with the addition of our sweet little Max, I'm taking more photos then ever now, and there's no way I want to miss out on documenting his story-- it's a good one.

I've got a whole lot of Project Life coming at you soon... can't wait to share!

L

2 comments:

  1. I tried to respond to this three times yesterday, but my "smart" phone was having none of that. For shame, iPhone, for shame!

    I can definitely relate to using something like this as therapy -- this is such a necessary and valuable outlet. I'm so glad you are able to snatch moments where you can stop and record what's precious to you. Sweet Baby M and your wonderful little family will always be #1, of course, but I was excited to see some of our snaps from France on your post. Just seeing Sacre Couer put me right back there on that damp, drizzly, cold afternoon. What an amazing trip and how luck I am to be able to share those memories with you!

    I think it might be time for me to start project life-ing. Feel free to send any pointers my way, sis -- you always provide great creative inspiration!

    Here's to a happy week in which we dream of adventures to come!

    P.S. I'm up for a road trip with you guys and Sunny any time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. #2 I just took another look at your pictures and remembered our "coat switching" in France. I still have that checkered coat and think of you and our trip every time I put it on. :)

    ReplyDelete